The summer of 2012 was yet another reminder of India’s worsening power crisis. I am sure that your good self is aware of the power situation in UP and you must be making efforts to improve upon the situation. I wish to inform you that there had been no power for 14-15 hours in a day in most of the areas and whenever it is there the supply is very erratic with low voltage and tripping.f.
The above situation has possibly arisen because of multifactional problems, summary of which I am enumerating below to refresh your honor to tackle the situation more efficiently.
Less than a decade ago, in 2003, when the situation was very bad, two key interventions aimed at stemming the rot in the sector were announced with much fanfare. One, the losses of state electricity boards (SEBs) were taken over through RBI-guaranteed bonds as a “one-time” financial clean-up exercise. Plus, the landmark Electricity Act 2003 simultaneously heralded a booster dose of fresh reforms, including the unbundling of distribution utilities, limited “open access” to consumers, state power regulators and a platform for independent tariff fixation. But the sector is back in mess, probably in a much worse position that it was 10 years ago.
As a measure to fill the gap new power projects with a capacity of 120000 MW, have been sanctioned by Govt of India and are being implemented in various states in Govt as well as private sector. Out of which as much as 48,000 megawatts (MW) of new generating capacity has come up but only a fraction of this is being used. There are several reasons for this.
One, coal supplies are scarce because output from state-owned Coal India cannot keep up with explosive demand in growth. Imports are an option, but across the world, coal prices have spiked and using imported coal as fuel increases the price of electricity. States regulate the purchasing as well as selling price of power to be followed by SEBs. Governments virtually avoid raising the rates of electricity upwards even if the customers are willing to pay. The SEBs is, therefore, reluctant to purchase power as it has to be sold at a price which is below their cost price (Regulated by State government). Thus the SEBs are forced to restrict power purchases, as a result the generators have to keep capacity idling. This is a ridiculous situation in an electricity-starved nation.
A decade of political opportunism has also reversed many of the gains of early power reforms.
Many state governments give free or near-free electricity to farmers and unlimted free electricity to the existing /retired employees of SEBs. Inevitably, this translates into bankrupt state electricity boards and erratic, low-quality supplies with farmers paying a steep price to run diesel pumps and generators.
The power ministry alone cannot solve this problem. It has to be a composite effort by the state as well as central government and certain policy as well as operational decisions will have to be taken which may improve the situation. Few of the suggestions are as under.
POLICY DECISIONS /Actions to be taken by central government
- The government has to first scrap the 1973 Act that nationalized coal mining. Professional miners should be allowed to explore and mine coal, for boosting supplies.
- Regulators in the states and the Centre should offer the flexibility to adjust power tariffs up or down so that supply matches demand.
- To ensure that states have an incentive to act, bodies like the Finance Commission and the National development council should link central funding to progress in power reforms. The needed reforms call for political leadership and courage, not technocratic tinkering.
- Free the distribution sector from state government control. Then only one can see a growth in the sector. No business, either in private sector or in Govt sector would survive if the commodity (electricity) is sold below cost price. Simple economic common sense!!! If the drainage at the distribution level is plugged, the power sector will see a turn-around for the better. Customers are willing to pay for reliable and round the clock power, even if it is expensive. Cost of no power is much higher than cost of costly power!! In fact higher electricity cost would induce energy saving solutions at the consumer end!
OPERATIONAL DECISIONS/Action to be taken by the state Government.
- The state government should effectively persuade and follow-up with central Government for speeding up actions as above.
- All classes of public has to be educated / motivated well with the ideas of power generation, consumption, various tariff implementation and acceptance to be done.
- Subsidized power supply to the farmers be demolished.
- Unlimited Free electricity to the existing and retired employees of the SEBs has resulted to its gross misuse. It should either be stopped or at least should be restricted to some limits. In the alternative they may be charged their consumption at some discounted rate.
- The power tariffs may be suitably increased to support the SEBs financially. While doing so the rates for the small users may remain untouched but rate for the consumers with high consumptions may be increased substantially. In fact they are, at present, using diesel sets to get a regular supply and are bearing high costs. They will certainly be willing to pay for reliable and round the clock power, even if it is expensive.
- All over head Distribution lines to be changed to underground cable services to avoid power theft by looping method.
- All the Electromechanical energy meters to be replaced with digital energy meters.
- Prepaid energy metering to be done to avoid loss in collection of revenue after usage of electricity. In India still a very huge revenue is pending against bill payments from politicians, which could be recovered by implementing prepaid system and this should be approved to them only when the pending bill are realized that too by giving a very short stipulated time period for their bill payments without having second chance.
- There are lots of flaws in distribution of power at consumer sides due to higher no of officials & contractors but not designing proper loads for the DISTRIBUTION TERMINAL’s. This has to be taken care at war footing basis.
- The DISTRIBUTION TERMINAL’s should be installed at the required regions with a higher ratings than the actual required load at that point of time so that if some 10 – 20% extra load could be added in a span of 2-5 years.
- All the installations whether it is at Generation, Transmission or at Distribution should be evaluated with Star Ratings and should be with Warranty at least for 5 – 7 years.
- At regular interval of time the Transformers should be maintained (by oil filtrations, changing breathers, changing gaskets & lightening arrestors), the underground cables to be checked for insulation etc.
- After all but without fail- removing corruption from the society as well as from department of electricity, this is mandatory.
By this we could sure the society – out of power crisis…..
What a simplest and purest form of reflecting your views on such a difficult topic. Great going.
You actually created some respectable aspects right now there. Nice post
I really appreciate your writing.
I gotta favorite this internet site it seems very useful very helpful
I don’t even know how I ended up here, however I assumed this publish was great.
I do not recognize who you are however certainly you are going to a well-known blogger in the event you are not already. Cheers!
Information provided by you is of great help. Will likely be back to get more. Thank you
Your write-up is really amazing and it must reach to most of the people all over the world.
After checking out a number of the blog articles on your site, I honestly like your technique of blogging.
This was an incredibly wonderful post. Thanks for providing these details.
Thank you for informing about this particular subject. Very informative and helpful
occhiali da sole Oakley,occhiali da sole Ray Ban,occhiali Ray Ban Outlet,occhiali Oakley Outlet,Replica Oakley,Replica Ray Ban,Replica Sunglasses
Replica Ray Ban
[url=http://www.alfacov.it/image/occhiali.asp]Replica Ray Ban[/url]
Wanted to inform you that how impressed I have been , since I read your article. Great going
The structure of the composition is good, but try to make sure the word order in your sentences is correct.
A powerful piece of writing. Very inspirational.
I am sure they’ll be benefited from this web site.
Congratulations for all the effort putten in to reach to such explanatory and efficient article.
Really.. thanks for starting this up. This web site is one thing that is required on the web, someone with a bit of originality!
Hi there everyone, it’s my first go to see at this site, and piece of writing is genuinely fruitful in favor of me, keep up posting these types of content.
I honestly appreciate people like you! Take care!!
Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you writing this post plus the rest of the website is really good.
You’re very intelligent. You already know the significance in the case of this matter. You post consider numerous angles of information. Your own stuff is excellent.
Hi friends, nice piece of writing and good arguments commented at this place, I am in fact enjoying by these.
Very well documented!
I’m amazed, I have to admit.
Hi there to every one, since I am really eager of reading this weblog’s post to be updated daily.
It contains fastidious stuff.
A very impressive article, something worthy of being proud of.
What a beautifully drafted article which has all the important points still its not boring!
Just spent a few very enjoyable minutes looking at the site.
Overall very good: clean, easy to navigate, informative and, importantly, interesting.
This is a jaw-dropping information.
Well done on your research and presentation.
Thank you for the introduction to the new website.
I’ll be re-visiting it many times, but on a fast run-through it looks really great.
Saved as a favorite, I really like your blog!
Keep the good articles coming!
Multiflavour … Nice thought, thanks!
Hello, I am so happy I found your weblog.
I’m really appreciating the commitment you put into your site and in depth information you offer.
This has been so particularly generous with people like you to supply openly all that most of us would’ve offered for sale for an e book in order to make some dough on their own, even more so seeing that you could possibly have tried it if you ever decided.
Wonderful to see such brilliant post on an individual’s website.
I could have sworn I’ve been to your blog befoгe but after browsing through a few of the posts I realized it’ѕ neѡ to me.
Regardless, I’m certainly haƿpy I ѕtumbled upon it anԀ I’ll be book-marking it and checking back rеgularly!
Kudos for putting up such an amazing work.
I recently had a good fortune of reading your article it is really well written with updated information.
I will be returning here often now.
I like the valuable information you provide in your articles.
I will bookmark your blog and check again here frequently.
I am quite certain I will learn lots of new stuff right here!
Best of luck for the next!
I need to to thank you for this wonderful read!!
I certainly loved every little bit of it.
I have got you book-marked to look at new stuff you post…
I quite like reading an article that can make men and women think.
Also, thank you for permitting me to comment!
Excellent, what a blog it is!
This weblog provides valuable data to us, keep it up
Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts!
Carry on the great work!
Information provided by you is of great help.
Will likely be back to get more.
Appreciate this post.
Will try it out.
I really love your website..
Excellent colors & theme.
I’m very happy I found this in my hunt for something relating to this.
This is the perfect webpage for anybody who hopes to understand this topic.
Looking forward to read more of your stuff.
This has been an incredibly wonderful article.
Many thanks for supplying this information
I am regular reader, how are you everybody?
This paragraph posted at this site is actually good.
I really appreciate your writing.
This is a great tip especially to those new to the blogosphere.
Simple but very precise information…
Many thanks for sharing this one.
A must read post!