Choking were the streets and sidewalks with piling up mounds of rotten garbage and belching were the gutters and sewers, with no signs of being cleared any time soon. This could be the description of any Indian city or town, small or big. The situation in rural areas was no better. Defecation in the open was too common a sight with the poor and the needy of the society’s soft underbelly having no recourse to toilets at home. In fact, a dedicated toilet was not an intrinsic part of a typical home in an Indian village or a small town. Lack of hygiene and consequent outbreak of diseases was, therefore, an inevitable consequence of such a sad state of affairs.
Women having to go out into the open at odd hours to attend the nature’s call became easy prey to human predators. Tourists were aghast at the unseemly sights and revolted over the highly deplorable sanitary and hygienic conditions. A country of exquisite beauty, rich cultural heritage and inestimable spiritual treasure, unmatched practically elsewhere in the world, had started slipping down the popularity charts of international tourists for the sheer lack of an efficient waste management system and sound infrastructure in the area of sanitation and public hygiene.
All this resulted in a woeful lack of self-esteem on the part of the Indian society, which had been making strides in practically all sectors of economic development and took pride in laying claim to the title of a fast-emerging economic powerhouse in the South Asian region in close contest with China. The most ironical feature of the situation of helplessness that Indians suffered was despite their being finicky in their personal hygiene and keeping their houses spotlessly clean as a mandatory requirement in their regime of offering daily prayers, they were dismayed over the lack of a waste management system on the part of civic authorities. Consequently, both a state of mass inertia and hopelessness gripped the Indian society, compounded by a forlorn feeling of low self- esteem.
Prime Minister Launches Program
Well, in the above paragraphs we talked in the past tense, as the idea was not to indulge in an exercise of self-flagellation about the conditions prevailing in India. The intention, on the contrary, was to capture in a nutshell the woeful state of affairs as it existed before a fresh breeze of change started sweeping across the landscape of the country last year and thereby ushered in a new government at the national level that dared to think differently both at the macro and micro levels to address the monumental challenge of sanitation and hygiene.
While the situation today is not much different from what it was before Prime Minister Narendra Modi unveiled his Swachh Bharat Abhiyan or Clean India Mission, from the ramparts of the Red Fort on the occasion of India’s Independence Day on 15 August 2014, there is a marked difference in the country’s determination to tackle the problem of filth and squalor. For the first time in the history of modern India, a prime minister had thought it fit to talk about one of the most pressing needs of the people, namely toilets and that too on an occasion which used to be kept exclusively reserved by his predecessors for making lofty speeches on the government’s achievements in areas like economy, education, industry, defence, poverty eradication, etc. Modi made a passionate appeal for uplifting the country from the depths of ignominy to which it had sunk in the matter of cleanliness, with particular focus on construction of toilets in each and every household in rural areas and separate toilets for girls in schools to ensure privacy and security. He unfurled a grand scheme for cleaning government offices and public places and presenting a clean Bharat in dedication to Mahatma Gandhi on his 150th birth anniversary on October 2, 2019.
Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
The scheme called ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyan’ is no less daunting in sheer magnitude and scale than the Herculean task of cleaning the Aegean stables. The fact that no other leader of the country before him had retrospected on one of the most basic needs of the people, and presented a time-bound master plan for implementation of the scheme, in which political representatives of the people, and local authorities were involved with the active support and cooperation of the people themselves, resulted in a special resonance of the scheme for the people.
Film stars, sports persons, captains of industry and other celebrities were enlisted not only for popularizing the scheme, but also to set personal examples and act as role models to motivate people to help themselves in the mammoth scheme on a scale never witnessed in the country ever before. Brand ambassadors were appointed and several organizations and commercial establishments roped in for implementing the scheme. More than three million government employees and school and college students are to participate in the drive. The total cost of the program is expected to be a whopping Rs 62,000 crore (US $9.8 billion), to be shared by the central government and state governments.
Challenges and Impediments
The challenges to the program are many and the impediments in its implementation are no few in number.
● The greatest of the challenges lies in the sheer magnitude and scale of the program. The program is an ambitious, nationwide campaign aimed at making India completely clean and “open defecation free” by October 2019. It plans to construct 12 crore toilets in rural India by October 2019, at a projected cost of Rs 1.96 lakh crore (US$31 billion). The government is conducting the program in concurrence with the Indira Awaas Yojana, a rural housing scheme. Although the Swachh Bharat Mission began on October 2, 2014, the government had begun constructing toilets prior to that date. Under that scheme, the Modi government was left with an allocation of Rs 32435 crore (US$5.1 billion). The program has also received funding and technical support from the World Bank and from corporations as part of their corporate social responsibility initiatives as well as from the state governments under the Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan and Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan schemes.
As of May 2015, as many as 14 companies including Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), Mahindra Group and Rotary International had pledged to construct 3,195 new toilets. As of the same month, 71 Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) in India had extended their support for the construction of 86,781 new toilets. Between April 2014 and January 2015, 31.83 lakh toilets were built. This indicates the scale of the program. However, there is quite a long way to go towards completing implementation of the scheme.
● The question is how long could the interest of the people be sustained in the necessity and viability of the program before their spirits start sagging and they go back to their old ways. People’s attention has to be kept riveted on the scheme. They have to be constantly reminded about the soundness of the scheme and why it must succeed. People have to be convinced that the government is quite serious about this program and that it is beyond politics and is essentially an exercise in self-help.
● Another big challenge is to change the mindset of millions of people. People need to be educated about sanitation and hygiene. Although Indians do have a proclivity for cleanliness at home, they seem to behave differently in public places, which are not kept clean by the civic authorities in the first place. It would appear that “If you can’t beat them, join them” kind of syndrome is in operation. Urinating on the roadside, spitting and littering are some of the unseemly acts commonly indulged in by a person who feels utterly hopeless about the dismal state of affairs. The same people who indulge in such activities while in India conduct themselves responsibly while abroad, mindful of stringent local laws, civic sense and norms of behaviour. Although their duplicitous behaviour at home and abroad is not entirely explicable, it is apparent they seem to be driven by a desire to blend with the milieu. Call it an act in trying to look nonchalant, if you will. Such people have to be convinced that public places in India also can be transformed into clean and well-maintained places as in developed countries, if not more. To start with, enough numbers of garbage bins and skips should be kept at public places to encourage people to make use of them instead of littering around.
● Once garbage bins and skips are placed at strategic places for use by the public, strict legislation should be enacted to make littering, spitting, urinating or indulging in such unhygienic and unseemly practices legally punishable. Use of non-admissible grades of plastics and other non-bio-degradable material inimical to the maintenance of healthy environment and ecology should be banned by legislation.
● The workforce for cleaning has to be optimal in strength. There are any number of cities and towns in the country that are understaffed on account of shortage of funds for purposes of cleaning of streets and removal of garbage. This lacuna should be rectified by appointment of adequate number of cleaning staff to work in several shifts depending upon the severity or acuteness of the problem. Appointment of cleaning staff will per se not solve the problem. They have to be paid decent wages. Their working conditions should also be improved such as by issuing of liveries, surgical masks, disposable gloves and sturdy equipment and cleaning materials to enable them to clean and collect garbage with least exposure to health hazards. Unless they are paid reasonable wages and their working conditions ameliorated, they cannot be expected to have any degree of pride in their job or carry out the work without giving cause to complaint or dissatisfaction.
● Garbage has to be collected regularly and transported to designated places located away from residential areas and water bodies before it is segregated into biodegradable and non-biodegradable categories. Wherever possible, solid waste should be converted into natural manure for farms or recycled for the benefit of the communities generating the waste matter. This is an area where great care has to be taken to ensure that no possible use, which could be made of the solid waste in the process of its disposal, is allowed to go unexplored. Disposal of hospital waste and industrial waste is yet another matter that deserves serious consideration. With Narendra Modi’s ‘Make in India’ program coming into force in a big way with the setting up of more and more industrial establishments and manufacturing hubs, disposal of waste output has to be reckoned. The authorities need to have a master plan for disposal of all kinds of garbage, for the preparation of which expertise, technical acumen and eco-friendly approach have to be judiciously applied in a bid to get optimal benefits.
● A mandatory system of voluntary cleaning of government offices by the personnel working in those offices on certain designated days in a year should be introduced. This would help establish a sense of appreciation of the need to keep the premises clean by the people working there themselves and instilling in them dignity of labour. This practice is already being followed in quite a few countries like the former Soviet Republics.
● There should be a cordial tie up between welfare associations of residential complexes and those in charge of commercial and industrial establishments on the one hand and the civic authorities on the other so as to ensure optimal cooperation in collection of waste material at regular intervals.
● Civic authorities have to find ways and means of generating revenues, which could be allocated for cleaning operations. One simple way would be to sell stickers of different denominations to households, industrial and commercial establishments which generate garbage, to be affixed on garbage bags for collection.
When people are educated and motivated about the program, its necessity and winnability, and the implementation is in full flow, more impediments would perhaps come to the fore. Those could be successfully addressed with all the experience and hindsight gained during the implementation of the program.
(The article was published in weekly magazine Uday India in October 18- 24, 2015 edition)
No one is against swatchh bharat. Everyone wants sanitation but unless there are provisions for proper disposal of waste I don’t think that this will ever become a success.
By all these schemes BJP government is passing benefits to corporates. Money will flow from exchequer to these corporates who will eat up everything and nothing will happen. Government is a cheat.
Absolutely agreeable. Nothing can be a successful plan or idea unless implementation is proper. We should replicate Switzerland and Singapore model.
Social media is the talk of the town. Nowadays governments do less and advertise more on media. This is what programs of Narendra Modi are. They lack substance and long term planning.
Unless there are strict penalties on industries like shutting down factories that amount to high waste India will remain a filthy nation. Law should be made and followed in spirit.
Its better late than never. sure small small efforts will lead to a big change. be optimistic – situation will improve.
Indian biodiversity was once a treasure. Today, we just have three or four hotspots and they are also in high danger. Time to assess our dependence on energy and pave the way for renewable resources.
Agra RPF fined people urinating outside the railway station. Even New Delhi RPF is doing this on people who litter on platforms. This is what that can change the attitude of Indian people.
Total waste of government money. I travel by bus everyday and see it filled with cigarette buds and bidis. There is no civic sense in Indians so education is necessary.
Clean India also means clean politics sir. What about tainted ministers in BJP government and PM’s silence? He said that within 1 year he will clean the parliament. Nothing done till date.
I totally appreciate your insights. Keep rising.
Your article has truly peaked my interest.
Hello thеrе. I could have sworn I have been to your blog befoгe but after browsing through a few of the posts I realized it iѕ neѡ to me. Regardless, I am certainly haƿpy I ѕtumbled upon it anԀ I will be book-marking it and checking back rеgularly.
I can not wait to read much more from you. This is really a tremendous site.
An enlightening work.
Ahaa, its pleasant dialogue about this piece of writing at this place at this weblog, I have read all that, so at this time me also commenting here.
Your article is an impression of your high thinking and great perspective
A very impressive article, something worthy of being proud of.
What a simplest and purest form of reflecting your views on such a difficult topic. Great going.
Amazed to see on such clearly presented write-up with no scope of confusions at all.
This a wonderful blog submit. It is so nice when persons appreciate all that you do.
Excellent article. We are linking to this great content on our site. Keep up the great writing.
Woah. Ι am reallly enjoying tɦe template οf thiѕ website. ӏt is simple, yеt effective. Α lot of times it is tough to ցet that perfect balance betѡeеn usability ɑnd appearance. Ӏ must sаy you have ԁone a amazing job ԝith thіs. In addition, tɦe blog loads extremely fast fоr me on Chrome. Outstanding Blog.
It is a nice piece of writing which is rare to find these days.
Amazing blogsite, greetings.
If some one wishes to be updated with most recent technologies therefore he must be pay a quick visit this site and be up to date all the time.
Great blog you have got here.. it is difficult to find high quality writing like yours these days. I truly appreciate people like you. Take care..
I commend you for your excellent writing. A well researched one.
Hi there. This article could not be written any better.
I blog often and I genuinely appreciate your content. This article has really peaked my interest.
Hi there to every one, since I am really eager of reading this weblogs post to be updated daily. It contains fastidious stuff.
I started to read your article and it caught me to the extent that I could not put it down. Amazing piece.
The structure of the composition is good,buttry to make sure the word order in your sentences is correct.
I definitely enjoyed every bit of it.
I really appreciate your writing.
You are so awesome. I do not believe I have read through a single thing like this before
Just wanted to say how much we appreciate the tremendous amount of hard work and effort you all put in to producing this website. It is a great credit to everyone and I am sure will be a great success.
Hello very cool website. Man .. Excellent .. Amazing .. I will bookmark your website and take the feeds additionally.I am glad to search out numerous useful information here within the publish, we need work out extra techniques in this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .
I visit daily a few web sites and sites to read articles or reviews, however this blog provides feature based articles.
I am amazed, Ӏ mսst say. Rarely ԁo I cоmе acrߋss a blog that is botth equally educative ɑnd amusing, and աithout ɑ doubt, үou have hit tҺe nail on the head. The problem іs something whіch not enough folks ɑге speaking intelligently ɑbout. I am νery happy that I stumbled across Һis Ԁuring my search foг somethning relating to tɦіs.
I gotta favorite this internet site it seems very useful very helpful
You have made some decent points there.
I like the way you put thoughts forward
I wonder how come you get to know that this is the exact information that I have been looking for. Thanks a ton man.
Great task on this publish. I enjoy the way you displayed your info as well as the way a person achieved it significant and also obvious to be aware of. Thanks a great deal.
An outstanding share.
I am very happy to find this web site. I wanted to thank you for your time due to this fantastic read. I definitely liked every little bit of it and i also have you saved to fav to see new information in your site.
Looking forward to read more of your stuff.
I am often to blogging and i really appreciate your content. The article has actually peaks my interest. I am going to bookmark your web site and keep checking for brand new information.
The next time I read a blog, I hope that it does not fail me as much as this one. After all, I know it was my choice to read, nonetheless I actually thought you would probably have something helpful to talk about. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you could fix if you weren’t too busy seeking attention.
So good to find somebody with some unique thoughts on this subject matter. Really.. thanks for starting this up.
Really.. thanks for starting this up. This web site is one thing that is required on the web, someone with a bit of originality.
Pretty. This has been an incredibly wonderful article. Many thanks for supplying this information
I have learn several just right stuff here. Certainly price bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how much effort you set to create such a fantastic informative web site.
Such well drafted articles are not easily found on web. Cudos.
Pretty. This has been a really wonderful article. Thanks for supplying these details
Oh my goodness. Amazing article dude. Thank you so much
It is always exciting to read through articles from other authors and use a little something from other sites.
Spot on with this write-up, I absolutely believe that this amazing site needs much more attention. I will probably be returning to read through more, thanks for the advice.
I need to to thank you for this wonderful read.. I certainly loved every little bit of it. I have got you book-marked to look at new stuff you post…
Rarely do I come across a blog that is both educative and amusing, and without a doubt, you’ve hit the nail on the head.
Quality posts is the important to be a focus for the people to visit the web page, that is what this web site is providing.
I honestly appreciate people like you. Take care..
My family always say that I am killing my time here at net, however I know I am getting know-how all the time by reading such good articles.
This is mainly a publicity campaign…may be to divert public attention from basic issues.
I have read so many posts about the blogger lovers however this paragraph is in fact a fastidious paragraph, keep it up.
This is undoubtedly the most clean and clear form of writing that have seen so far. Congrats to attain this level.
I just want to say I am just all new to blogging and site-building and absolutely enjoyed this web site. Likely I want to bookmark your site . You actually come with amazing writings. Bless you for sharing your web page.
Hurrah, that is what I was seeking for, what a material. present here at this web site, thanks Dr gupta for this post.
I appreciate you finding the time and effort to put this information together. I once again find myself personally spending a significant amount of time both reading and commenting.
You definitely put a fresh spin on a subject that is been discussed for years. Wonderful stuff, just excellent.
Way cool. Some extremely valid points. I appreciate you penning this post and the rest of the website is really good.
I just want to mention I am all new to weblog and truly savored this blog site. Likely I want to bookmark your blog . You actually have terrific articles. With thanks for sharing with us your web site.
Your article has been an inspiration to me. It has given me hope. Keep up the good work.
Hi there. This post could not be written any better. Thank you for sharing.
Thank you for the introduction to the new website. I will be re-visiting it many times, but on a fast run-through it looks really great.
I applaud the publications of yours.
Thank you for the auspicious writeup.
The website is bright, clean, quick, easily navigable and all the links seem to work well. Moreover, the contents here in blog shape is really wonderful.
it is hard to come by well-informed people on this subject, but you seem like you know what You are talking about. Thanks
Hello. I simply want to give you a huge thumbs up for the great info you have right here on this post. I will be coming back to your site for more soon.
I am very happy I found this in my hunt for something relating to this.
It was so awesome of you to take out time and express your thoughts on a topic so different.
The website is fantastic and something your group should be really proud of.
Could not stop myself from appreciating your article. An excellent one.
Great blog you have got here..
Hi friends, nice piece of writing and good arguments commented at this place, I am in fact enjoying by these.
Information provided by you is of great help. Will likely be back to get more. Thank you
There is certainly a lot to know about this issue. I love all of the points you have made
Thanks for a marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it,
you may be a great author.I will be sure to bookmark your blog
and will come back down the road. I want to encourage you to
ultimately continue your great job, have a nice day!
There are some interesting deadlines in this article however I don’t know if I see all of them middle to heart. There is some validity however I’ll take maintain opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we wish more! Added to FeedBurner as nicely
I was able to find good advice from your blog articles.